Establishing orphanages is the next stage of expanding our ministry. Even though the life in the orphanage is not an ideal situation for a child, it is a very good temporary solution until a permanent place is found. The poverty and the number of orphans in the streets is heart-breaking. We believe we will soon be provided with the necessary means so that we can move ahead with this endeavor.
- It is estimated there are between 143 million and 210 million orphans worldwide (recent UNICEF report.)
- Every day 5,760 more children become orphans.
- Every 2.2 seconds another orphan ages out with no family to belong to and no place to call home.
Orphan Statistics in the Philippines
- 1.8 million children in the Philippines are orphans or have lost one parent.
- More than one in 10 Filipino children between ages 5 and 14 are engaged in child labor.
- Nearly one-third of children who start primary school in the Philippines do not complete fifth-grade.
- Nearly one in four children and adults in the Philippines struggle to survive on $1.25 a day or less.